Small Groups for the Season of Lent
During Lent 2023, Westminster will offer Church in the Round, a five-week small group experience of conversation and connection starting Sunday, February 26. Westminster’s Senior Pastor Tim Hart-Andersen will explore the Lord’s Prayer (“Our Father, who art in heaven…”) in a sermon series during Lent. Church in the Round will provide space to contemplate the Lord’s Prayer as well as the role of prayer more generally.
Each weekly small group gathering will include a short video, a brief reflection or poem, scripture, and discussion. Groups will meet for an hour each week, either in person or online, on Sunday mornings at 9:15am, Wednesdays following midday or evening worship, or at another designated time.
To Register: Please contact Michael Gold if you are still interested in joining a Church in the Round group.
- Where and when do the groups meet? Groups meet once a week throughout Lent. When you register, you’ll choose a time slot (Sunday mornings at 9:15am or Wednesdays following the midday or evening worship service) and a format (in-person or online). You’ll be assigned to a group and stay with that group for all five weeks. In-person groups meet in various locations throughout the church; online groups meet on Zoom. If none of those times work for you, you can still sign up, and we will try to add an additional online option.
- How do I sign up? Register on Realm or, if you have trouble, email Michael Gold, Administrative Assistant for Adult Ministries.
- What if I’m already part of a regular small group? Can we do Church in the Round together at our regular time? Yes! We will provide your group leaders with the materials they need. Please indicate that you are part of an existing group when you register on Realm.
- What if I want to be in the same group as someone else, such as a partner, other relative, or friend? Email Michael Gold, Administrative Assistant for Adult Ministries, when you register.
- I know someone who will be interested in Church in the Round but they aren’t part of the Westminster community. Can they participate? Yes!
- What happens after five weeks? Do the groups just cease to exist? Your commitment to the group lasts only five weeks, but groups that gel are welcome to continue meeting after Lent concludes. In fact, some of Westminster’s ongoing small groups have begun this way!
- What if I know I cannot attend all five meetings? Can I still participate? Yes, but please commit to going to as many meetings as you can. The experience will be richer—for you and the other participants—the more you spend time together!
- Do I have to be tech savvy to participate? No! If you participate in-person, your leader will have all the digital and physical materials you need. If you participate online, you will need to be able to use Zoom.
- How much preparation is required of me each week? No preparation is required, but optional resources are available suggesting daily and weekly practices that will enrich your experience.
- The theme of Church in the Round is prayer. Does that mean the groups gather just to pray together? The groups are designed to be conversational and connectional. The purpose is to explore the topic of prayer and connect around ways of praying and things that make prayer challenging. Groups are, of course, welcome and encouraged to pray, but the purpose will be to provide an open space to discuss prayer and share ways of developing individual and shared practices of prayer.
We have tried to anticipate and answer your questions, but if we have missed anything, please reach out to the Rev. Margaret Fox, Associate Pastor for Adult Ministries.